week 23: Character Modeling

This week I have started modelling the character according to the designs I have previously created.

I have first used a temporary eye from which I start model the head around.

starting from a cube I have moved the vertices and added subdivisions to the cube to shape it accordingly to the reference pictures.

I have continued the process of inserting edge loops and adjusting the vertices to maintain the shape of the face: when moving the vertices I would always use keep the mesh on preview mode and after I would switch to smoothed to see how it collapsed.

I have after created a hole for the ears that I will model afterwards.

At this point the head is starting to get to the right shape: I would always work on one side, except for when using both side is more convenient, to get a symmetrical model in the end.

next step is to create the nose, I first deleted the faces where the nose world be positioned

I have extruded an edge to create the nostril and add loops of faces from there:

I have then mirrored the model so to see if everything was right: the nostril are probably too big, the forehead too pronounced and the cheekbones and the mouth need to be adjusted as well.