week 19: Project developments- compositing

Miro Board Link:

https://miro.com/app/board/uXjVOKHnfj0=/?share_link_id=371325218573

This week I have finalised the compositing stage.

For the first shot to add an introduction effect I have duplicated the trees for the background and positioned them in the foreground to give and impression of depth and animated them so that the more the camera pan closer to the character the trees would go out of the frame.

For the skeleton fish scene I had already added a fisheye effect in maya although I wanted to accentuate this effect even more so I have created a black solid layer with a mask set on subtract and feathered the edges to make the boarders even darker.

As I mentioned last week the depth map I have rendered was not working well since the gradient look very similar in the background and the foreground. So I have created a black solid layer and applied to it a gradient map to select the area affected by the blur. On top of it I have created an adjustment layer with a camera blur effect applied to it and the black solid layer selected as mask.

compositing with sounds

After I have composited all the different shots I have added sounds to them based on the animatic.

This week I have also made the intro in 3D since I have thought that the 2D version of it was not fitting with the style of the entire animation. I have used the fishing rod model from the animation and created a 3D text and parent it to the bait.

In order to make the animation more visually interesting I have added some 2D graphics:

some depression lines

comic text which I took inspiration from the deadpool video game showcasing the time and indicate the time spent waiting.

Moreover I have added some stars animation when he wakes up after he felt trying to catch the fish.

for some of the most crucial transitions in the animation I have created a comic slide transition to highlight the actions showcased in the scenes.