Week 18: rendering and Ebsynth

Once all the textured were imported and edited I have rendered the scene.

in the render layer settings I have created a bed layer a background layer and a shadow matte as well. For the bed render layer I have created two different collections one with the bed model and a second one with the background but with the primary visibility turned off so that the shadows would still be displayed on the bed model but the background won’t be visible. I did this since that afterwards I am going to manually paint on the background to add a brush strokes effect that I will apply to the footage using absinth.

This is the first experimentation I did painting the background in photoshop: I have set three different layers the bottom one being the rendered frame from the background I would the created a painted layer on top of it and at the top the png of the bed. I have chosen to not paint the bed model since I thought it would make all the work I did in substance painter pointless covering all the texture.

After I was done with painting stage of the frame I have imported the frame and the rendered footage from the master layer in ebsynth to apply the paint effect to the rest of the layers.

Although the frame was just one and the program did not know how to fill the parts of the footage that were not visible in the painted keys at first but were in the frame in the last part of the video ( the top of the bed for instance).

Afterwards I have painted two additional frames to add to the footage that were far apart and covered everything showing throughout the footage.

this is a screenshot from the ebsynth settings: there are two directories where you can import the original footage in a sequence of images and the painted keyframe. based on the directory of the folders with the images the program would automatically create a project directory for the output footage which would be in image sequence as well. The name of the keyframes chosen to edit should be the same of those from the original footage.

this output which I composited in after effects was not working as well: the images were not enough and the change in effect was to sudden the transition had to be smoother.

After I have created an additional frame and added it into the program.

This is the final output for the first experimentation: