Week 4: Project development process

The following are some task I am planning to work on this week:

Added the last controls to the rig using the set driven key tool:

eyes controls for closing the upper and bottom lids and a locator for the eye to rotate them

Beak control to open and close it

Finally bonded the skin to the rig

Adjusted the rig influence using the paint skin weight tool especially for knees, wings and beak

This is an rig testing for the wig after I have bonded the skin to it:

Wing feathers/fingers testing

Seagull 2 Rig

I tried to match the other seagull rig to the other one had to make few changes:

Just like I did for the other model I have created some curves to set driven keys for the eyes lids to be closed to create an eye blink.

Using the same technique I have created a circle to parent it to the beak and created an attribute to turn on and off to open and close the beak.

This seagull has also eyebrows so I have created a circle to parent with the joint attached to them to make them move easily.

I had to create a new wing controls with IK handle to make the wings fold

I froze the transformation of each nurb circle control after I have adapted it to the new mesh to male the animation process easier.

I after binded the rig to the skin and modified the paint weight of the brows, the knees and wings just like I did for the other seagull

I made sure that the joint for the brows was affecting only that area rather the the whole head, so I will be able to raise the brows for exaggerate his expression.

Model props

I thought to create a character design for the child who is going to be included in the pier scene.

I have included drawings with characters having a big head, over proportioned for his body, big eyes and a mischievous/angry tone and expression.

I also created a model sheet starting from the character designs I have created. And imported it to maya to experiment with the model as well, using different techniques such as poly modeling or starting from geometries and adapting it to the shapes of the character design.

Storyboard (continue)

Before getting into the VR storyboard we thought that designing a “traditional” storyboard would have been useful to use as a reference when working in VR, so I continued to storyboard our game according to the last script version:

In the frames, just like I did last time I have drawn an eyes perspective view considering that what is shown is a probable view of the player

Animation list according to the script

Default move (look finding nemo)

Beak movement for when they speak

Turning head

Grab the fries underneath his wing (seagull B)

Eating the fries (seagull B and A)

Take one fries (seagull A)

Offer fries to the player (seagull A)

Eyes rolls and wing on his face (annoyed, seagull A)

Look at the player (seagull A and B)

Seagull taking the stick (seagull A)

Offer the stick to the player (seagull A)

Worried (Seagull B)

Fly (Seagull A and B)

Holding an ice cream (seagull A)

Landing, stumbling and stabilizing (seagull B)

Eating with fork and knife (seagull B)

Eating with the wings (seagull A)

Speech bubbles

This is an initial list however it would be more useful to create a template with a section for scene, character and action to put the animation into a context.

Animation testing

I have started experimenting with the rig that I have created for the Seagulls. I thought I could do the default movement they would do when they are not involved in a particular action.

The animation of the seagulls from finding nemo were the movements I used as a reference

I have first positioned the seagull in a starting position with the wings folded and his beak closed. I after created some “loop” movements for the wings. I have also made his belly move forward and inward to simulate breathing and made his neck move making snap movements and blinking from time to time.